California Bowling Writers
Home Home Bylaws Infolink Archive Officers Contact Media Forms Photo Gallery Calendar

Send your articles to Member Article and it will appear right here on the CBW website. Guaranteed!


Greater Sacramento USBC Inducts Three to Hall: Jerry Nunes, Irene Raff and Brent Bridges
By Mary Lynly, California Bowling Writers

GSAUSBC President Brent Korff did what few emcees do – make the most of a captive audience. He advised the attendees of the GSAUSBC extraordinary 2016-2017 season.

The Board of Directors worked 5 consecutive weekends as the California State Senior Bowling Association’s 47th Annual Championship held at Steve Cook’s Fireside Lanes and AMF Rocklin. 502 teams from around the state competed in two divisions based on combined age. 85% of those teams were from outside the area.

The driving force to get this tournament held in the Greater Sacramento area is here tonight. Hall of Famer George Glavas. George lobbied hard to bring the tournament to the Greater Sacramento Area. Why was this important? It saved many local bowlers the time and expense of traveling to other cities. Even more important is the benefit to the local economy. Between motels, restaurants, retail shops and more the benefit easily exceeded $200,000. The California State Senior BA was so pleased with the effort by the Association volunteers, bowling centers and the participation by our members that it voted to bring the tournament back here in the fall of 2018.

Our generous GSA members contributed $9,000 for the Bowlers to Veterans Link. Although in past years the money has stayed in California, we learned that only a small percentage was benefitting veterans in our immediate area. Our Board subscribes to the philosophy of “Think globally and act locally.” Therefore, our Board adopted a new policy to only send 10% of what is collected to address statewide veteran needs and the other 90% will be granted directly to local veteran organizations by our Board. This year we awarded $3,760 to the VFW Post in Folsom and another $3,760 to the Mather Veterans Village which provides housing to homeless veterans in the area. I personally visited these two organizations and was very impressed with the work they do to help veterans in need. Both agreed to provide periodic reports of how the funds are helping local veterans.

The number one initiative for this past season was to increase communication with our members. Since tournament participation was up by more than 20%, we have to conclude that we did indeed make some progress. We overhauled our web page, became more active on our GSA USBC Facebook page, engaged in the direct emailing of upcoming events and news to those members whom provided accurate email addresses, and some of our most conscientious board members increased dialogues with league secretaries and fellow bowlers.

Tournament opportunities were increased including Senior Championships and a Super Senior Division within the Masters Tournament. This coming season there will be a Senior Masters and a Queens Tournament on a separate day from the regular Masters. Additionally, there will be a Women’s Championship in October featuring a doubles and singles competition.

The association office was moved and will save $6,000 annually to help offset cost increases and allow us to increase awards to our membership. We helped support the PWBA event held for the third consecutive year at Steve Cook’s Fireside lanes and three of our former youth were able to cash in that event.

The GSA board strives to stay up with accomplishments of our members too. Several of the association youth participated in the USBC Junior Gold competition in Cleveland Ohio and of 327 entrants for the U15 girls, 2 of the top 16 were from our Association.

Overwhelming? You bet. If you have read this far and are thinking this sounds like shades of times past – you are right. Forward thinking, awareness of all facets of decisions and the consequences and a genuine caring for the membership. An increase in participation and interest on all fronts! Congratulations to President Brent Korff and the GSA Board of Directors.

The best was yet to come with the announcement of the honorees. Unfortunately, Jerry Nunes who was being honored for Superior Performance in the Hall of Fame was unable to attend. Barbara Metzinger Hureaux gave a riveting presentation of Irene Raff, posthumously, for Meritorious Service and Brent Bridges was inducted with an incredible list of accomplishments for Superior Performance. Additional honorees were: The Ralph Sutton Memorial Scholarship to Robbie Bennett; Senior Female Bowler of the Year to Carolyn Cooley; Senior Male Bowler of the Year to Joe Chabot and League Secretary of the Year to Linda Zierman. Director of the Year went to Gillian Tracy.

This site is
Send mail to Kathy Watson with questions or comments
about this web site. Last modified:
25 October 2021

Home Facebook